Monday, April 12, 2010

Slap Magazine, December 1993


Wow, I don't know what to say about this cover. If you know me you've probably heard me say "being different for the sake of being different is weak". This cover taught me that. Doing something different as a means to an end or truly as an experiment is great, but for the most part it becomes a gimmick and gets old really quick. And sometimes, after you've tried something different, you should know when to push delete.

Jamie Riley was the art director at Slap in '93, even though I still did the covers, and was playing around with concrete poetry.
Concrete poetry is defined as: poetry in which the meaning or effect is conveyed partly or wholly by visual means, using patterns of words or letters and other typographical devices.
The great thing about Slap, at least for us who worked there, was there were no rules or guidelines. We could do whatever we wanted, experiment as much as possible, fail miserably and keep going. Concrete poetry?- lets do it! You also have to remember that this was '93 and we did this all in Photoshop (probably 1.0) and we had no idea what we were doing. Anyway, somehow I got this picture of Wade Spayer at his senior prom and thought it would be perfect on the cover (I told you I had no idea what I was doing). After spending a few hours playing with fonts and colors and butchering a cut-and-paste job with the photo, the cover was complete. It looked great on a 10" computer screen, but a few weeks later when we got printed copies... Well, you live and learn.

1 comment:

Rusty Knuckles said...

truly miss the days at slap. We had creative freedom which made things that much harder. How the hell we got the mags done in time is bewildering, haha!